The principal goal of the new Working Group on Irrigation and Drainage in States with Transition Economy is to facilitate a single platform of National Committees of ICID that belong to States characterized by transition economy, in overcoming certain mutual problems in Irrigation and Drainage.
It is well known that after the splitting up of former USSR States that were included in Warsaw collaboration or Soviet Union went through very difficult times to overcome the problems connected with changing economic, political and social situation, especially in rural area during the past two decades. These are characterized by some common features such as:
- reduced size and direction of government subsidy to agriculture, water management, irrigation and drainage;
- lack of investment not only in development of Irrigation and Drainage, but also in sustainability of these networks; and
- lack of States’ attention to Irrigation and Drainage.
As result, in all these States, one can recognize that there is a:
- reduction of irrigated area (it was 12 Mha or 5% of global irrigated area)
- significant loss of organizations responsible for supporting infrastructure of irrigation and capacity building in water management
- failure of Irrigation and Drainage science; an
- lack of interest of young professional in Irrigation and Drainage.
The WG-IDSST aims to promote innovative approaches and necessary instruments to provide sustainable irrigation and drainage management within IWRM plans and RD projects in the countries of transition.
Established : 2009
|1||Prof. Peter Kovalenko||Ukraine||Chair|
|2||Prof. V.A. Dukhovny||Uzbekistan||Vice Chair|
|3||Dr. Shukhrat Mukhamedjanov||Uzbekistan||Secretary|
|4||Dr. Rajinder Kumar Gupta||India||Member|
|5||Dr. Katsuyuki SHIMIZU||Japan||Member|
|6||Dr. Alexander Solovyev||Russia||Member|
|7||Engr. Peter Yakube Manjuk||Nigeria||Member|
|8||Dr. Mohamed Abd-El-Moneim Wahba||Egypt||Member|
|9||Mr. Baratov Rustam Okilovich||Tajikistan||Member|
|10||Mr. Momir Vranes||Australia||Member|
|11||Eng. W.B. Palugaswewa||Sri Lanka||Provisional Member|
|12||Mr. Rafaquat Ali||Pakistan||Provisional Member|
|13||Dr. Hassan Abu Bashar||Sudan||Provisional Member|
|14||Dr. Andrii Shatkovskyi||Ukraine||Provisional Member|
CA Water Information
Presentations: Bali, Indonesia, 2019
- Activities of Tajikistan National Commission on Irrigation and Drainage
- Introduction of Innovative Water Saving Technologies
- JICA Knowledge Co-Creation Program Appropriate Management of Land and Water Resources for Sustainable Agriculture in Arid and Semi-arid Regions
- Evaluation of farming activities supported by climate sub-loans
- Cooperation for the Aral Sea Basin following New Initiatives of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- The results of the implementation of remote sensing in the water sector of Central Asia
Report: Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2016
Irrigation and Drainage in the States under Economic Transformation - Prof. Victor Dukhovny, Vice President Hon., ICID and Vice Chair, WG-IDSST (Uzbekistan)
Presentations: Gwangju, September 2014
Reports: Gwangju, September 2014
- The Role of Donors in Addressing Water Problems in Central ASIA by Prof. Victor A. Dukhovny, Vadim I. Sokolov, and Dinara R.Ziganshina
- State-of-the-Art and Prospects for Reconstruction of Effective Use of Irrigation and Drainage Systems in Ukraine
- Improvement of the Condition of Irrigated Land and Efficiency of Water Use is a Guarantee of Sustainable Development by Khamraev, Sh.R.
- Water as a Source of Future Development of Kazakhstan by Ryabtsev Anatoliy Dmitriyevich and Ryabcev Anatoly
- Materials of the Working Group of the Countries in Transition
The 69th IEC meeting held at Saskatoon, Canada in August 2018 recommended for the re-establishment of the WG-IDSST with a revised mandate and also suggested to report to PCTA under Strategy Theme ‘Basin’.
Special Work Team on Aral Sea Basin (ST-ARAL) renamed as Working Group on Irrigation and Drainage in States with Transition Economy (WG-IDST) at 60th IEC, 2009, New Delhi, India