The principal goal of the new Working Group on Irrigation and Drainage in States with Transition Economy is to facilitate a single platform of National Committees of ICID that belong to States characterized by transition economy, in overcoming certain mutual problems in Irrigation and Drainage.
It is well known that after the splitting up of former USSR States that were included in Warsaw collaboration or Soviet Union went through very difficult times to overcome the problems connected with changing economic, political and social situation, especially in rural area during the past two decades. These are characterized by some common features such as:
- reduced size and direction of government subsidy to agriculture, water management, irrigation and drainage;
- lack of investment not only in development of Irrigation and Drainage, but also in sustainability of these networks; and
- lack of States’ attention to Irrigation and Drainage.
As result, in all these States, one can recognize that there is a:
- reduction of irrigated area (it was 12 Mha or 5% of global irrigated area)
- significant loss of organizations responsible for supporting infrastructure of irrigation and capacity building in water management
- failure of Irrigation and Drainage science; an
- lack of interest of young professional in Irrigation and Drainage.
The WG-IDSST aims to promote innovative approaches and necessary instruments to provide sustainable irrigation and drainage management within IWRM plans and RD projects in the countries of transition.
|1||Prof. Peter Kovalenko||Ukraine||Chair|
|2||Prof. V.A. Dukhovny||Uzbekistan||Vice Chair|
|3||Dr. Shukhrat Mukhamedjanov||Uzbekistan||Secretary|
|4||Dr. Rajinder Kumar Gupta||India||Member|
|5||Mr. Baratov Rustam Okilovich||Tajikistan||Member|
|6||Dr. Mohamed Abd-El-Moneim Wahba||Egypt||Member|
|7||Mr. Momir Vranes||Australia||Member|
|8||Engr. Peter Yakube Manjuk||Nigeria||Member|
|9||Dr. Alexander Solovyev||Russia||Member|
|10||Dr. Katsuyuki SHIMIZU||Japan||Member|
|11||Mr. Rafaquat Ali||Pakistan||Provisional Member|
|12||Dr. Hassan Abu Bashar||Sudan||Provisional Member|
|13||Dr. Andrii Shatkovskyi||Ukraine||Provisional Member|
|14||Eng. W.B. Palugaswewa||Sri Lanka||Provisional Member|