The Asian continent has the highest area under irrigation viz. 225 Mha, which is about 41% of its arable land. Also, this is where about 60% of the whole world population lives. India (67 Mha), China (65 Mha) alone account for 59% of the irrigated area in Asia. Eight countries (India, China, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, Thailand, Turkey and Bangladesh) account for 82% of the total irrigated land in Asia. Five most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh) out of the top 10 in the world are from Asia accounting for 45% of the world population. To feed this ever increasing population, food production needs to be doubled. And that is only possible by water resources development and management.
To fulfill the task of doubling the food production in the region, the NCs from Asian region have formed the Asian Regional Working Group (ASRWG) to focus on numerous hot topics of the current importance. Recently, the Asian Regional Task Force on Climate Change (ARTF-CC), established under ASRWG, compiled a report titled "Climate change adaptation for irrigation and drainage in Asia" which was presented at the sixth world water forum held in Marseille in March 2012. Earlier a symposium on "climate change impacts on soil and water resources" was organized by the group at Tehran, Iran in 2011. In 2008, the group also brought out a ‘Report on ICID Task Force for Least Developed Countries in Asia’.
Besides organizing the Asian regional conferences on topics of current importance, the group enhances linkages with regional and transnational organizations for co-operation and transfer of technology in irrigation and drainage with aim to increase the food production.
In addition to the below membership, National Committees of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Kazakhstan, and Philippines nominated their representatives.
|1||Prof. Dr. Tsugihiro WATANABEfirstname.lastname@example.org||Japan||Chair|
|2||Dr. Vijay K. Labhsetwaremail@example.com||India||Vice Chair|
|3||Dr. Aynur Fayrapfirstname.lastname@example.org||Turkey||Secretary|
|4||Dr. Rajinder Kumar Guptaemail@example.com||India||Member|
|5||Mr. Arthon Suttigarnfirstname.lastname@example.org||Thailand||Member|
|6||Prof. Gwo-Hsing Yu, Ph.D.||email@example.com||Chinese Taipei Committee||Member|
|7||Prof. (Ms.) Kyung Sook Choifirstname.lastname@example.org||South Korea||Member|
|8||Ir. Syed Abdul Hamid bin Syed Shuibemail@example.com||Malaysia||Member|
|9||Mr. Ilkhom Juraev Usmonovichfirstname.lastname@example.org||Uzbekistan||Member|
|10||Prof. Wang Aiguoemail@example.com||China||Member|
|11||Mr. Bashu Dev Lohaneefirstname.lastname@example.org||Nepal||Member|
|12||Eng. W.B. Palugaswewaemail@example.com||Sri Lanka||Member|
|13||Ir. Felipe Dantasfirstname.lastname@example.org||Australia||Member|
|14||Mr. Stephen Millsemail@example.com||Australia||Member|
|15||Dr. Ray Shyan Wufirstname.lastname@example.org||Chinese Taipei Committee||Member|
|16||Dr. Wen-Pen Shuemail@example.com||Chinese Taipei Committee||Member|
|17||Dr. Mochammad Amronfirstname.lastname@example.org||Indonesia||Member|
|18||Dr. Karim Shiatiemail@example.com||Iran||Member|
|19||Mr. Naoki HAYASHIDAfirstname.lastname@example.org||Japan||Member|
|20||Mr. RYU Jeon Yongemail@example.com||South Korea||Member|
|21||Ir. Hj AHMAD BIN DARUSfirstname.lastname@example.org||Malaysia||Member|
|22||Dr. (Ms.) Mu Mu Thanemail@example.com||Myanmar||Member|
|23||Mr. Ahmed Kamalfirstname.lastname@example.org||Pakistan||Member|
|24||Dr. Dao Trong Tuemail@example.com||Vietnam||Member|
- WT on “Contribution of agricultural water to the rural development” – Prof. Tai Cheol Kim (Korea)
- Food Security and Poverty Alleviation in The Millennium Development Goals: The Role of Muda Irrigation Project - Mukhlis Zainol Abidin (MADA)
- PAWEES 2014 International Conference, October 2014, Taiwan
- Irrigated agriculture and rural development : focusing on Theme 2.1 Water for food - Prof. Tai Cheol Kim and Dr. Sung-hee Lee (Republic of Korea)
- Application of Multi-purpose Rubber Dam with Small Hydro-power Generation System - Dr. Kwon, Hyung Joong and Prof. Kim, Sun Joo (Republic of Korea)
- An Example of the Modern Irrigation Projects and Systems in Turkey: The Yaylak Plain Irrigation Project - Dr. Aynur FAYRAP (Turkey)
- Rural Groundwater Monitoring Network - Byung Sun, Lee (Republic of Korea)
- 64th IEC Meeting and 8th Asian Regional Conference (ARC), October 2013, Mardin, Turkey
- Managing Climate Change Effect on Groundwater through Monitoring Groundwater,
People's Republic of China, Dr. Gao Zhanyi
- hinese Taipei Case Study - Paddy Fields Multi-Functionality for Sustainable Environment and Climate Change in Taiwan
5th Asian Regional Conference, 6-11 December 2009, New Delhi, India.
4th Asian Regional Conference, 2-5 May 2007, Tehran, Iran.
Asian Regional Workshop, The Grand Hotel, Taipei, 10-12 November 2003
1st Asian Regional Conference, 16-21 September 2001, Seoul, South Korea, 2001